How to Adopt
What to Expect When You’re Adopting
Our adoption process is both simple and straightforward. Our goal is to ensure you and your pet are the best match for one another and our team is here to assist. They will be available to help match you with an adoptable animal that may be a good fit for your home. Over the course of your visit with us you’ll get the change to meet with two dogs (or puppies), similarly for cats (or kittens).
You are also welcome to bring your resident dog to your dog/puppy adoption appointment as our team is available to help introduce them to your potential new adopted dog.
Please Note: We do require that some of our adoptable dogs meet your current canine family members prior to going home.
“Is this animal still available?”
Our website updates in real-time and is the most accurate way to tell which animals are still available for adoption.
To complete an adoption, please bring the following:
- A valid Driver’s License, California ID card, or other photo identification (you must be at least 18 years old).
- Payment for adoption fees. Adoption fees can be paid by credit card or cash. Please note that we do not accept checks.
- To turn in your completed Adoption Questionnaire. Pro-tip: Save time by filling out a questionnaire below (select cat or dog) and bring it with you to your appointment.
Every adopted animal from East Bay SPCA comes with the following:
- Initial Vaccines
- Microchip & Registration
- Roundworm and Flea Treatment
- Cardboard Carrier (for cats only)
- Temporary Leash and Collar (for dogs only)
- Discounted Dog Training Classes
- A free toy or bed to go home with
Kitten (under 6 months): $200
Pair of Kittens: $300
Senior Cat (Club Second Chance) : $60
Puppy (under 6 months): $300
Senior Dog (Club Second Chance): $90
We operate on a first come (aka first appointment), first served policy. In some cases, a short-term adoption hold can be placed on an animal, if the pet still requires spay or neuter surgery. The cost for this hold is $25. A hold can only be placed after a member of the household has visited with the animal in person. We do not take holds by phone or email. If a hold results in an adoption, the $25.00 hold fee ($50 for puppies and kittens) will be applied to the adoption fee. Otherwise, the hold fee is non-refundable. We do not have waitlists for animals on hold, and we do not contact interested parties if a hold is released and an animal becomes available again. We recommend watching our website vigilantly for updates on animals.