Become a Volunteer
Behind Every Shelter Animal is a Multitude of Caring Volunteers
Volunteers allow us to provide great care and varied enrichment to our shelter animals. Without the time, effort, and expertise of each volunteer, we would not be able to run our shelters! Recognizing the valuable role of volunteers, we are committed to providing thorough, hands-on training with ongoing support to every volunteer.
Oakland Volunteer Opportunities
- Feline Animal Care – provide a helping hand in the daily care of our cats and kittens, including feeding and cleaning *ALL weekend shifts are currently full
- Canine Animal Care – keep our dogs and puppies comfy and cozy by meeting their daily needs, including feeding and cleaning
- Customer Care – greet clients and help to match adoptable animals with their forever families (18 and up)
- Shelter Care – keep the shelter sparkling and welcoming by assisting with sweeping, mopping, dishes, and laundry
- Pet Food Pantry – bag cat and dog food into weekly portions for use in individual homes
- Event Ambassador – raise awareness throughout the East Bay about who we are and the many programs and services we offer by tabling at community outreach events
- Training Class Assistant –assist staff to provide scientifically supported training methods to members of the public seeking behavior resources for their dogs (18 and up)
- Pets For Life Assistant – assist the Community Outreach Coordinator with door-to-door outreach and gain first-hand experience inside the animal welfare field while helping to promote the human-animal bond! Bilingual Spanish/English applicants are highly encouraged to sign up (18 and up)
Dublin Volunteer Opportunities
- Surgical Support Internship – learn from and assist our shelter veterinarian and medical support team with spays, neuters, mass removals, enucleations, and more! Internship cycles: March 1-May 31, June 1-August 30, and September 1-November 30. Internship available for individuals 18 and up.
*Now accepting applications for the September 1-November 30 internship cycle!*
Who Can Volunteer
- Individuals aged 18 and older.
- Youth aged 16-17 may volunteer independently but must submit a waiver signed by a parent or guardian.
- Children ages 10-15 are welcome to volunteer as part of an adult/child team, under the supervision of a trained parent or guardian. A volunteer team is one child per adult.
- Youth can also volunteer independently through one of our many Humane Education Programs.
How To Become a Volunteer
- Read through our list of current volunteer opportunities to determine which volunteer position(s) you are interested in. Make sure to click the heading to read through the full position description!
- Fill out our volunteer application. Acceptance is based your availability and interests, as well as our current needs.
- Complete the online New Volunteer Info Session (2 hours).
- Attend an in-person Volunteer Orientation (1 hour & 15 minutes).
- Attend volunteer position specific training.
ALL Canine & Feline Animal Care Weekend Shifts are Currently Full.
Have Additional Questions?
Contact the Volunteer Services Department at email@example.com.