Become a Volunteer
Behind Every Shelter Animal is an Army of Caring Volunteers
Volunteers allow us to provide great care and varied enrichment to our shelter animals. Without the time, effort and expertise of each volunteer, we would not be able to run our shelters. Recognizing the valuable role of volunteers, we are committed to providing thorough, hands-on training with ongoing support to every volunteer.
In return, we ask each volunteer to commit to a two-hour weekly shift and a six-month-long commitment. Hopefully, longer! We have morning and afternoon shifts available every day from 8 am to 6 pm. If you know now that these hours or this commitment would be difficult, please consider helping us in other ways and/or becoming a foster parent.
Who Can Volunteer
- Adults aged 18 and older may volunteer with us independently.
- Volunteers aged 16-17 may volunteer independently but must submit a waiver signed by a parent or guardian.
- Children ages 10-15 are welcome to volunteer as part of an adult/child team, under supervision of a trained guardian.
How To Become a Volunteer
1. Attend a one-hour Meet & Greet Session at your preferred location.
2. After attending a Meet & Greet Session, if you are ready to become a volunteer, you will be invited to submit a Volunteer Application.
3. Acceptance is based on your interests and availability as well as our needs. If your availability and interests match, you will complete a New Volunteer Orientation. Then you’ll be ready to start volunteering!
We have a variety of volunteer opportunities at the East Bay SPCA! We ask that volunteers commit to a weekly two-hour shift and are able work with us for at least six months.
Our greatest need is for Animal Care Volunteers. These volunteers provide essential care to our animals to keep them happy and healthy. Tasks include feeding dogs and cats, sanitizing kennels and doing dishes and laundry. These shifts are scheduled every day of the week from 8-10 am and 3-5 pm.
Experienced Animal Care volunteers are eligible for additional volunteer activities, some which require additional specialized training, such as:
- Canine and Feline Socialization & Enrichment
- Customer Care
- Behavior & Training
- Jog-a-Dog Canine Exercise
- Spay/Neuter Clinic Assistant
- Vet Clinic Assistant
We also have other areas and programs where volunteers are greatly appreciated. You can make a great impact participating in volunteer opportunities such as:
- Marketing & Development
- Event Coordination
- Youth Programs
- Offsite Events