Chi Fix Program
In 2010 East Bay SPCA spearheaded the effort to bring awareness to the increasing numbers of homeless Chihuahuas and Chihuahua mixes entering Bay Area shelters. The tiny breed’s popularity spiked after films like “Beverly Hills Chihuahua” and “Legally Blonde”, coupled with iconic stars carrying these pooches in their purses down the red carpet.
We reached out to other local humane organizations and public shelters, encouraging adoption specials, spay/neuter promotions and education about the breed and even started an event in May called “Chihuahua Palooza”. Four years later, Chihuahua overpopulation is still an issue for the Bay Area as the effects of over breeding can last for decades.
Beginning in 2014, we are offering discount spay/neuter surgeries for Chihuahuas and Chihuahua mixes for owners in Contra Costa and Alameda Counties.
Chi Fix Prices:
Spay (female): $70
Neuter (male): $50
Surgeries are performed at the East Bay SPCA, Oakland Spay & Neuter Surgery Center at 410 Hegenberger.
To qualify for this service, you must:
- Have proof that you live in Alameda or Contra Costa County. A current Driver’s License or California ID with an Alameda or Contra Costa County address on it is acceptable.
- Only owned Chihuahuas and Chihuahua mixes qualify for this program. No rescue groups, foster organizations, shelter animals or stray dogs will be allowed to participate.
- Qualification for the Chi Fix Program requires that your dog primarily looks like a Chihuahua. Determining whether your dog is a Chihuahua or Chihuahua mix or not will be at the sole discretion of our staff. Documentation of breed history can be provided, but the final decision will be ours. Dogs determined not to be Chihuahuas or Chihuahua mixes will be subject to our regular, affordable prices.
- Vaccinations, other treatments, microchipping and/or procedures are at the owners expense.
- Appointments must be made for each dog you would like spayed or neutered and there can be up to a 4-6 week wait for an appointment.
- A deposit is required to schedule an appointment.
- Please Note: The East Bay SPCA Spay/Neuter Centers can only accept animals between ages of 4 months and 6 years. If your animal is 7 years or older, please call our Full Service Veterinary Clinic at 510-569-1606.