Service Learning Projects
Thank you for thinking of us! Our education department frequently has students, Scouts, and other individuals or groups contact us for guidance or mentoring on a project. Please see our guidelines below for helping with projects.
Service Learning Projects vs. Volunteering
What is the difference between service learning projects and volunteering at the East Bay SPCA? Projects are completed independently, offsite with the guidance of our education staff as needed. Youth are able to select a project that best meets their needs or requirements and can complete the project at their own pace. Volunteering, on the other hand, happens onsite at one of our facilities, during set hours or shifts. We have short-term opportunities for youth to volunteer independently or for those interested in volunteering long-term, visit our volunteer page. If you or your group is interested in completing a project please see below for ideas and guidelines.
How to Begin
Please read the information listed below very carefully. If you are interested in seeking support of the East Bay SPCA, or wish for us to be the recipient of your project please begin by filling out our project request form. Someone from our education team will contact you and to follow up on next steps within 5 business days.
Examples of Projects the East Bay SPCA can assist with
• Scout Projects (ex: Bronze, Silver, Gold or Eagle Scout)
• School Interviews or Research projects
• Service Learning Projects
• Youth Community Service Hours
Guidelines and Expectations
Any individual or group agrees to the following guidelines when they seek the support of the East Bay SPCA with a project.
• Individuals wishing to complete a project with the assistance of the East Bay SPCA must complete a project request form.
• All communication about the project must come from the student(s) themselves.
• Meetings or appointments must be requested at least one week ahead of time. We are not able to accommodate drop-in or last minute requests.
• The education department will facilitate all requests for interviews; our medical and shelter teams’ time are reserved for helping the animals.
• In order to ensure the success and viability of a project, the East Bay SPCA should be contacted before the start of a project.
• The East Bay SPCA can not provide any financial assistance for projects. Any costs incurred need to be covered by those completing the project.
• At this time, the East Bay SPCA can not facilitate onsite volunteering for projects. All those completing projects are required to record hours accurately and will be signed off by East Bay SPCA education staff upon completion of the project.
• Individuals authorize the use of and reproduction by the East Bay SPCA, or anyone authorized by the East Bay SPCA, of any and all photographic materials which are taken. Said picture may be used in production of any East Bay SPCA publication or for public relations purposes in any medium without compensation to the individual(s). All photos and brochures shall be considered solely and completely the property of the East Bay SPCA. Individuals also waive any right to inspect or approve the finished product(s) that may use the images.
• East Bay SPCA staff reserves the right not to sign off, accept, or approve projects which do not meet the guidelines or expectations of the organization.
• East Bay SPCA staff reserves the right to terminate the support of a project at any time if expectations are not met.
Current needs/Project ideas
Below is a list of projects that we are currently seeking volunteers for. Some of these are an on-going need, while other are a one time project. The projects are listed from basic to advanced, and are ranked based on their complexity and resources involved.
• Cat Toys
• Dog Treats & Toys
• No Sew Fleece Blankets
• Kuranda Bed Covers
• Kennel Curtains
• Adoption Vests
• Guinea Pig Habitat