New Volunteer Opportunities
Now you can get involved in even more ways to help the animals of the East Bay SPCA! We have a variety of new volunteer positions you can sign up for. Please read below for information and requirements for these positions. Please contact us with questions about any of these volunteer positions or let us know if you are interested in signing up for a shift!
Transport animals between shelters when they need a lift, driving a snazzy East Bay SPCA van!
- This shift is available every Saturday from 12 – 2 pm, with some flexibility in the timeframe.
- You would be driving an East Bay SPCA van with crated animals.
- This will be a round-trip adventure, regardless of which shelter you start at.
- Must be 18 or older.
- Must have valid CA driver’s license and provide proof of insurance.
- Commit to one Saturday shift per month.
Shelter Care Assistant
Help us keep our shelter in top shape for the animals in our care by assisting our Animal Care staff with a variety of things such as sanitizing crates and floors, restocking essential supplies, doing laundry as well as other special projects such as stuffing Kongs.
- This position is available in Oakland Only and no animal handling is involved.
- Shifts are available daily from 1-3 pm.
- Commit to a weekly shift if possible. Or sign up when you can!
Humane Advocate Administrative Assistant
Assist Humane Advocacy Manager with a variety of administrative tasks to support the HA department and programs. This volunteer position is located in Oakland.
- Enter vaccine information into the electronic Veterinary Software System, Avimark.
- Assist with filing, scanning, and data entry for HA programs.
- Assist with organization of HA supplies, including Pet Food Pantry and HA Events inventory.
- Must be able to commit to at least 8 hours a month. Shifts are coordinated with Humane Advocacy Manager.
- Proficient in basic computer skills including word processing, email, and using the Microsoft Office Suite
- Experience with Avimark or other Electronic Medical Record programs are plus but not required
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail and communication skills
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time
- Able to lift at least 25 pounds without assistance
Spay/Neuter Transport Shift
Transport crated animals in an East Bay SPCA van from the Oakland Adoption Center to the Oakland Spay/Neuter Center for surgery and/or pick up when they are ready to return to the shelter in the afternoon. Shifts are available Tuesday – Saturday. Must be able to commit to a weekly shift.
Drop Off Shift 8 – 9 am
- Check in with Med Support team to collect files and list of animals due for surgery.
- Work with an assigned staff member to crate/load animals into van.
- Drive van Oakland Spay/Neuter and drop off with staff.
- Return van to Oakland shelter.
Pick Up Shift 4-5 pm
- Pick up East Bay SPCA van from the Oakland shelter and drive to Oakland Spay/Neuter.
- Animals may already be crated on arrival or you may need to assist staff to crate and load into the van to return to the shelter.
- At the shelter, drop off files with Med Support and find assigned staff member to assist with scanning for microchip match and re-kenneling.
- Prep and deliver evening meal to each animal.
Pet Food Pantry
Assist with running the monthly Pet Food Pantry through our Humane Advocacy Program. Greet and check in clients, distribute food and supplies. Some preparation and organization of the goods is also completed a few days prior to each Pet Food Pantry session.
- The Pet Food Pantry shift is held at the Oakland Spay/Neuter Center one Saturday morning per month. The shfit is from 8:30 – 11:15 am.
- Pet Food Pantry prep shift is the Thursday prior, from 1:30 – 3:30 pm but this day/time can be flexible if needed.
- Commit to volunteering at a Pet Food Pantry at least 3 times per year.
Intake Data Entry Assistant
Help us get animals to the Adoption Floor more quickly! When animals arrive at our shelter, they go through the Intake process. Part of this requires that we complete critical data entry and uploading of each animal’s information, including their Behavior Evaluation. This volunteer position will partner with our Animal Recruitment Coordinator to help input accurate data on all the incoming animals and speed up their journey to the Adoption Floor.
- This position is available in Oakland Only.
- Shift needs may vary from week to week based on our animal population but will most likely fall on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays from about 3-6 pm.
- Ideally be able to commit to a weekly shift, to be settled with Animal Recruitment Coordinator.
Welcome guests and potential adopters as they arrive at our Adoption Center!
- This position is available in Oakland Only.
- Direct people toward adoptable animals and get adopters started on basic paperwork when needed.
- Answer basic questions about the facility (i.e. where restrooms are located).
- Commit to a weekly shift. Shifts available Sat & Sun from 11a-2p or 3p-6p and Weds & Fri from 4p-6p.