How to Adopt
What to Expect When You’re Adopting
Our adoption process is both simple and straightforward, and our goal is to ensure you and your new pet are a good match for one another.
In Order to Help Us Find Your Perfect Pet, Please Come Prepared to
- Spend adequate time getting to know the animal.
- Be certain pets are allowed in your home or apartment.
- Be a responsible pet owner.
- Bring your existing dog(s) if you are adopting another one.
- We recommend any and all family members or other members of your household come with you, in order to finalize an adoption.
- Be willing to give your new pet a permanent home.
- Show your Driver’s License, California ID card, or other photo identification (you must be 18 years old).
- Complete an Adoption Application. You can save time by downloading and completing the appropriate application below ahead of time and bring it with you.
- Be able to pay our adoption fees. Our fees can only be paid by credit card or cash. We do not accept checks.
- Spend enough time to complete the Adoption Process. The paperwork itself takes about 15 minutes, but the adoption process could last up to 1-2 hours depending on the animal you wish to take home.
Please note: We stop processing adoptions at 5:30 pm at both Oakland and Dublin locations.
Every East Bay SPCA Adoption Includes
- Initial Vaccines
- Microchip & Registration
- Roundworm and Flea Treatment
- Temporary Leash and Collar or Cardboard Cat Carrier
- Discounted Dog Training Classes
Please note that the East Bay SPCA operates a first come, first served adoptions policy. In select cases, a short term adoption hold can be placed on adoptable animals to allow for pet-to-pet introductions, to allow other household members to meet the pet, or if the pet still requires spay or neuter surgery. A hold can only be placed after a member of the household has visited with the animal in person. We cannot take holds over phone or email. If the hold results in an adoption, the $25.00 hold fee ($50 for puppies) is applied to the adoption fee. Otherwise, the hold fee is non-refundable. We do not take waitlists for animals currently on hold, and we are unable to contact interested parties if a hold is released and an animal becomes available again.
Club Second Chance / Senior Cat: $25
Club Second Chance / Senior Dog: $50